Alexander H. Krist, MD, MPH
Fairfax Family Medicine Residency
Co-director, Ambulatory Care Outcomes Research Network
Phone: (804) 827-6750
- Faculty member for the VCU Family Medicine Residency program at Fairfax Family Medicine Center, where he sees patients and precepts medical students and residents
Areas of interest
- Evidence-based medicine
- Cancer screening
- Shared decision-making in preventive care
- Developed an Internet-based patient education tool to increase patient involvement in the shared decision-making process for prostate cancer screening; funded by the American Academy of Family Physicians
- Co-principal investigator – Pre-visit patient education to promote shared decision-making for prostate cancer screening: a randomized evaluation of Web-based and mailed information
- Principal investigator – Qualitative interview evaluating shared decision-making and prostate cancer
- Principal investigator – A preventive care Web site to promote primary and secondary prevention of common cancers; funded by the Massey Cancer Center
- Project director – Practice-friendly model for offering comprehensive health behaviors counseling study; funded by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
- Co-investigator, clinician and partner interface – Web-based portal to healthy behaviors: a physician’s tool to reach beyond the primary care visit; funded by the RWJF and Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
Awards and recognition
- Washingtonian magazine Top Doctors, 2002-present
- Washington Checkbook Top Doctors, 2005-present
- Society for the Teachers of Family Medicine’s Resident Teacher Award, 1999
- Fellow of the AAFP
- Washingtonian magazine Top Doctors, 2002
- Washington Checkbook Top Doctors, 2005
- American Medical Association’s Physician Recognition Award, 2004
- VCU Dean’s Research Recognition Award in Family Medicine, 2007
- Memberof the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force
- Former chair and member of the Health Information Technology subcommittee for the North American Primary Care Research Group
- Member of the research core tactic team for Family Medicine for America’s Health
- Member of the Virginia All Payer Claims Database workgroup
- Member scientist at VCU’s Massey Cancer Center
- M.D. – University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Va.
- M.P.H. – Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Md.
- B.S., chemistry – University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Va.
- Residency, family medicine – Fairfax Family Medicine Residency Program, Fairfax, Va.
- Fellowship, faculty development – Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Va.
- Fellowship, research – Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Va.
- Primary author of 38 articles in peer-reviewed publications, American Family Physician, Patient Education Counseling, Journal of Rural Health and Annals of Family Medicine
- Over 100 presentations at a variety of national and international conference about health information technology, shared decision-making and primary and secondary prevention of prostate and colorectal cancers