Briana Mezuk, PhD
Associate Professor, Division of Epidemiology
One Capitol Square, 8th floor, suite 824
Phone: (804) 628-2511
- PhD - Johns Hopkins School of Public Health, 2007
- BS - University of Pittsburgh, 2002
- BPhil - University of Pittsburgh, 2002
- 2007 - 2009, Fellow, Robert Wood Johnson Health & Society Scholars Program, University of Michigan Center for Social Epidemiology and Population Health
Academic Training and Positions
Faculty Affiliate, 2009 - pr. Virginia Institute for Psychiatric and Behavioral Genetics Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine Adjunct Faculty Affiliate, 2011 - pr. Research Center for Group Dynamics Institute for Social Research University of Michigan Fellow, Robert Wood Johnson Health & Society Scholars Program, 2007 - 2009 Center for Social Epidemiology and Population Health University of Michigan School of Public Health Project Coordinator, Baltimore Epidemiologic Catchment Area Study, 2003 - 2007 Department of Mental Health Johns Hopkins School of Public Health
Areas of inquiry: psychiatric epidemiology, depressive and anxiety disorders, type 2 diabetes, frailty, gerontology, stress and health over the life course, social disparities in health, suicide
My research interests are three-fold: (1) To understand the interface between behavior and biology in order to integrate social, psychological and biological approaches to understanding health and illness over the life course, (2) To explore the multiple pathways linking psychiatric and medical comorbidity, particularly chronic conditions such as diabetes, and (3) To inform interventions which reflect an integrative approach to health to effectively reduce the burden of mental disorders.
- Fellow, Gerontological Society of America
- Busse Award for Excellence in Social and Behavioral Research in Aging, Duke Center for the Study of Aging and Human Development
- Outstanding Mentor Award, VCU Public Health Student Association
- Early Career Investigator Award, American Association of Geriatric Psychiatry
- Junior Investigator Award, International College of Geriatric Psychoneuropharmacology
- Harold and Sylvia Halpert Scholarship Award Johns Hopkins School of Public Health, Department of Mental Health
- Delta Omega Public Health Honor Society, Alpha Chapter
- W.M. Parrish Award for Excellence in Debate William Pitt Debating Union, University of Pittsburgh
- University Honors College Scholar University of Pittsburgh
- Faculty Affiliate, Virginia Institute for Psychiatric and Behavioral Genetics, Virginia Commonwealth University
- Adjunct Faculty Affiliate, Research Center for Group Dynamics, Institute for Social Research, University of Michigan
- Mezuk B, Lohman MC, Rock A, Payne M. Trajectories of body mass indices and development of frailty: Evidence from the Health and Retirement Study. Obesity 2016;24(8):1643-7 [Pubmed]
- Mezuk B, Li X, Cederin K, Rice K, Sundquist J, Sundquist K. Beyond access: Characteristics of the food environment and risk of diabetes. American Journal of Epidemiology 2016;183(12):1129-37 [Pubmed]
- Mezuk B, Li X, Cederin K, Concha J, Kendler KS, Sundquist J, Sundquist K. Ethnic enclaves and risk of psychiatric disorders among first- and second-generation immigrants in Sweden. Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology 2015;50(11):1713-1722. [Pubmed]
- Lohman MC, Mezuk B, Dumenci L. Depression and frailty: Concurrent risks for adverse health outcomes. Aging and Mental Health 2015;21:1-10 [Pubmed]
- Mezuk B, Lohman M, Leslie M, Powell V. Suicide risk in nursing homes and assisted living facilities: 2003 – 2011. American Journal of Public Health 2015;105(7):1495-502. [Pubmed]
- Mezuk B, Rafferty JA, Kershaw KN, Hudson D, Abdou CM, Lee H, Eaton WW, Jackson JS. Reconsidering the role of social disadvantage in physical and mental health: stressful life events, health behaviors, race, and depression. American Journal of Epidemiology 2010; 172(11):1238-1249. [PubMed]
- Mezuk B , Lohman M, Dumenci L, Lapane KL. Are depression and frailty overlapping syndromes in mid- and late-life? A latent variableanalysis. American Journal of GeriatricPsychiatry, 2012 (DOI: 10.1097/JGP.0b013e31824afd4b)[PubMed]
- Mezuk B, Eaton WW, Albrecht S, Golden SH. Depression and type 2 diabetes over the lifespan: a meta-analysis. Diabetes Care, 2008;31: 2383–2390 [PubMed]
- Mezuk B, Eaton WW, Golden SH, Ding Y. Depression and risk of type 2 diabetes: The influence of educational attainment. American Journal of Public Health, 2008; 98:1480–1485 [PubMed]
- Mezuk B and Kendler KS. Examining depressive symptoms overthe life course: A latent class analysis. PsychologicalMedicine, 2012;24:1-10.[PubMed]
- Mezuk B, Prescott MR, Tardiff K, Vlahov D, and Galea S. Suicide among older adults in long-term care: 1990 – 2005. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 2008;56: 2107–2111 [PubMed]
Books, Book Chapters, Monographs
- Mezuk B and Eaton WW. Epidemiology of Schizophrenia, in Encyclopedia of Epidemiology. Boslaugh S, ed. SAGE Inc.: Thousand Oaks, CA. 2007, pp. 939 – 941.
- Mezuk B. Epidemiology of diabetes and cardiovascular disease: The emergence of health disparities over the life span, in Health Inequalities: Life course perspectives on late life outcomes. Antonucci TC and Jackson JS, eds. Springer Publishing: New York, NY. 2010, pp. 77 – 97.
- Mezuk B and Eaton WW. Approaches to Measuring Multi-Dimensional Constructs Across the Life Course: Operationalizing Depression over the Lifespan, in The Handbook of Measurement. Tucker E, Viswanathan M, and Walford G, eds. SAGE Inc.: London, UK. 2010, pp. 239 – 264.
- Jackson JS, Abelson JM, Berglund P, Mezuk B, Torres, M and Zhang R. The intersection of race, ethnicity, immigration, and cultural influences on the nature and distribution of mental disorders: An examination of major depression, in The Conceptual Evolution of DSM-5. Regier DA, Narrow WE, Kuhl EA, and Kupfer DJ, eds. American Psychiatric Publishing, Inc.: Washington, DC. 2010, pp. 303-326.
- Jackson JS, Rafferty J, Kershaw KN, Hudson D, Mezuk B. Discrimination, stress, and mortality effects on Black Americans: A life-course framework, in International Handbook of Adult Mortality. Rogers RG and Crimmins EM, eds. Springer: New York. 2011, pp. 309-326.
- Mezuk B and Gallo JJ. Depression and medical illness in late life: Race, resources, and stress. In Depression in late life. Levretsky H, Sajatovic M, Reynolds CF, eds. Oxford University Press: New York, 2013, pp. 270 – 294.
- Eaton WW, MacDonald R, Everett A, Daumit G, Mezuk B. Chapter 26: Health behavior change in persons with depressive disorder, in Health behavior change in populations: The state of the evidence and roles for key stakeholders. Kahan S, Gielen A, Fagan P, and Green LW. Baltimore MD: Johns Hopkins Press 2014; pg. 514-522.