The Division of Epidemiology in the Department of Family Medicine and Population Health offers a Master’s degree in Public Health (MPH) and a doctoral degree in Epidemiology. Please review the admission requirements before applying. Note that starting with applications for fall 2021, the MPH program no longer requires GRE scores; this change may not be reflected uniformly across all VCU web pages during the 2020-21 school year. Applications are accepted online at the SOPHAS website. Search for Virginia Commonwealth University to find our program. The code for submitting GRE scores (for the PhD in Epidemiology program only) to VCU through SOPHAS is 7543. VCU also requires a secondary application.
For each program listed below, select "Admission Requirements" from the menu near the top left of the page to review requirements for applicants. Note that the VCU Graduate Bulletin states that GRE scores are required for MPH applicants applying for fall 2021 admission, but this is not the case. The GRE is no longer required for MPH program applicants, and the VCU Graduate Bulletin will not reflet this change until the first quarter of 2021.
- Master of Public Health (MPH)
- Doctor of Medicine (MD) and Master of Public Health (MPH) [dual degree]
- Master of Social Work (MSW) and Master of Public Health (MPH) [dual degree]
- Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) and Master of Public Health (MPH) [dual degree]
Select "Admission Requirements" from the menu near the top left of the page to review requirements for applicants.
Additional information and resources
Supplemental Application Information
All applicants must complete a VCU Supplemental Information Application in addition to the SOPHAS application for the VCU MPH Program.
The VCU Supplemental Information Application is a secondary application that is required for reporting numerical and demographic data to the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV) on applications and acceptances to VCU. It is the source of information for determining in-state or out-of-state residency and also enters all applicants in the VCU database and assigns them a V number, an identification number used by the University.
To complete this application to supplement your SOPHAS application, applicants need to do the following:
- Create an account with a Login ID and PIN. (Be sure to save your Login and PIN for later reference.)
- Select “SOPHAS-supplemental” in the drop-down box.
- For admission term, select fall and the year you expect to enroll.
- Enter your first and last name (middle name is optional, but if an applicant has a common last name, including your middle name can be helpful).
- You must indicate whether you have applied previously and type in your SOPHAS identification number.
- Enter your permanent address.
- Enter your person information including:
- Citizenship status
- Email address (requested twice to avoid entry errors)
- Date of birth
- Social Security Number (SSN)—not required, but needed if you plan to use financial aid.
- Under “Previous College,” enter the College School Code using the look-up feature of the college or university from which you have (or will receive) your bachelor’s and any other degrees, such as master’s degrees or professional degrees.
- Under “Additional Information,” answer the three questions about disciplinary action and military status.
- Complete the information on the VA In-state Tuition Application page to qualify for In-state Tuition. This is a lengthy form, but must be completed fully for you to be considered eligible for in-state tuition.
The residency information includes:
- Current address and any former addresses within the last 2 years
- Dependency information
- Domicile information
- Military information
- Spouse/Parent/Guardian information
- Spouse/Parent/Legal Guardian current and former address information
- Spouse/Parent/Legal Guardian tax information
- Spouse/Parent/Legal Guardian military information
A checklist at the end of the form will indicate whether all required information has been recorded before you make your final submission and pay the supplementary application fee.