Mark H. Ryan, M.D.
Associate Professor Vice-Chair for Clinical Operations and Quality Medical Director, International/Inner City/Rural Preceptorship Medical Director, Hayes E. Willis Health Center
Department: Department of Family Medicine & Population Health
Phone: (804) 628-3239
West Hospital, 14th Floor, North Wing, Room 14-110
1200 E. Broad Street
Richmond, VA 23298
- B.S. cum laude, The College of William and Mary, Williamsburg Virginia
National Institutes of Health Post-Baccalaureate Cancer Research Training Award, 1995
National Institutes of Health Howard Hughes Medical Institute Summer Research Fellowship, 1992-1994
Highest Honors on Biology Honors research project, 1996
Dean’s List Fall 1992, Fall 1994, Spring 1995 and Spring 1996
Phi Sigma Biological Honors Society, 1995
Golden Key National Honor Society, 1994
Alpha Lambda Delta National Honor Society for Freshman, 1993
Phi Eta Sigma Freshman Honor Society, 1993
- M.D., Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine, Richmond Virginia
Virginia Primary Care Scholarship, 1996-2000
Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society, 2000
Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society, 2000
Family Practice Excellence Award, 2000
Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Inner City/Rural Youth Program, 2000
MCV Foundations of Clinical Medicine Co-Teaching Award, 2000
Henry Clay Smith Scholarship, 1999
Sidney Barham Scholarship, 1999
MCV Foundation Whitehead Scholar Award, 1999
VCU School of Medicine Scholarship, 1998
Association of Pathology Chairs Honor Society, 1997
A.D. Williams Research Fellowship, 1997
VCU Mini-Medical School participant, 1997
Post Graduate Education
- Blackstone Family Practice Residency Program, Blackstone Virginia
Chief Resident 2002-2003
Virginia Academy of Family Physicians MCV Resident Board Member, 2002-2003
- American Board of Family Medicine, 2003-2020
- Medical education, service learning, global health, community health
- Family medicine, preventive care, global health
- Clinical preceptorship, large- and small-group lectures, POGILs, TBLs, service learning
Keywords & Interest Areas
- Medical education
- Service learning
- Medically underserved communities
- Social determinants of health
- Global health
- Social media and health
Awards & Honors
- Honorary Hooder selected by the VCU School of Medicine Graduating Class of 2018
- American Medical Student Association National Golden Apple Award for Teaching Excellence, 2017.
- American Medical Student Association Local Golden Apple Award for Teaching Excellence, 2017.
- Best Teacher, Pre-Clinical Longitudinal Curriculum, Patient, Physician, and Society Course, 2016-2017
- Best Teacher in the Course, Patient Physician, and Society, Class of 2018 Scientific Foundations of Medicine
- National Physicians Alliance Copello Health Advocacy Fellowship, 2014-2015
- Greater Richmond ARC 6th Annual Ladybug Award for Meritorious Service to Young Children with Disabilities and Their Families
- Standard Setting group; provided feedback to reassess the passing standard for the Maintenance of Certification for Family Physicians (MC-FP) examination
- Virginia Academy of Family Physicians President’s Award
- Member of the Society of Teachers of Family Medicine Communications Committee, 2012-2016.
- Elected to the National Physicians Alliance Board of Directors, 2011-2017; member of the Communications Committee 2010-2011; Vice-President of Communications 2012-2017.
- Appointed Secretary of the Virginia Academy of Family Physicians Board of Directors, 2011-2013; Director of the Communications Committee 2011-2013.
- External Advisory Board, Mayo Clinic Center for Social Media, 2011-2013.
- Arnold P. Gold Foundation Leonard Tow Humanism in Medicine award for Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
- Medical Society of Virginia Foundation Salute to Service Award for Service to the Profession
- Member of the 2008-2009 class of the Medical Society of Virginia Foundation’s Claude Moore Physician Leadership Institute. Co-moderator for Medical Society of Virginia Foundation Claude Moore Physician Leadership Institute’s Alumni Moderated Discussion Forum, 2010-2012; selected articles and moderated discussion regarding health care reform.
- Selected to a 3-year term on the Virginia Academy of Family Physicians Board of Directors, 2008-2011.
- American Academy of Family Physicians Foundation Pfizer Teacher Development Award
- Virginia Academy of Family Physicians F. Elliott Oglesby, M.D. Volunteer of the Year Award
- Degree of Fellow of the American Academy of Family Physicians
- AMA Physician’s Recognition Award with Commendation, 2006, 2009.
- Inaugural class of Virginia Commonwealth University’s School of Medicine Inner City/Rural Preceptorship
- American Academy of Family Physicians
- National Physicians Alliance
- Richmond Academy of Medicine, 2008-present; selected to the Legislative Committee 2009-2017.
- The Society of Teachers of Family Medicine
- Virginia Academy of Family Physicians
- Medical Society of Virginia
- American Medical Association, 1996-2012
Selected Peer Reviewed Publications:
- "Bridging the Gap: Including Patient Voices in Short-Term Medical Mission Evaluations" (with D Morales, W Clay, R Khamishon, R Zaragoza, R Eldnaf, A Trautman Nagy, M Ong and J Morales). Accepted, Annals of Global Health, 2019.
- "Use and Perception of Contraception Among Genders in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic" (with R Khamishon, J Chen, N Ranatunge, Q Wu, N Downey, E Love, and J Rodriguez). Accepted, Annals of Global Health, 2019.
- “Fostering transformative learning, self-reflexivity and medical citizenship through guided tours of "disadvantaged" neighborhoods” (with E.M.Brooks and M.L.Magee), Medical Education Online, Dec;23(1):1537431, 2018.
- "#Zika on Instagram" (with J Guidry, K Carlyle, J LaRose, M Messner, P Perrin), accepted for publication, Emerging Infectious Diseases, October 2018.
- "Addressing Noncommunicable Disease in Dominican Republic: Barriers to Hypertension and Diabetes Care" (with B Castro, L Ing, Y Park, and J Abrams) accepted for publication, Annals of Global Health, 2018.
- "Development of a Medical Spanish Curriculum for Fourth Year Medical Students" (with A Sadanand, S Cohen, and M Ryan), PRiMER 2:17, 2018.
- "Perceptions and Risk Factors for Zika Virus Infection at Two Sites in the Dominican Republic." (with I Foley, S Modi, G Bearman, and MP Stevens) International Journal of Infectious Diseases 73(S):223, 2018.
- "Effectiveness of POC blood glucose versus HgbA1c in screening for diabetes in an adult population in the Dominican Republic” (with B Patel, R Semus, N Monteserin, D Cabral, F Soto del Valle, N Jadhav, R Sabo) under review, Annals of Global Health, May 2019.
- "Framing & Visual Type: Effect on Vaccine Uptake Intent (with J Drost Guidry, K Carlyle, J LaRose, P Perrin, M Messner). Journal of Public Health Research, 7:1162, 35-42; 2018.
- "Addressing non-communicable disease on short-term medical trips: A longitudinal study of hypertension treatment in Santo Domingo" (with C Hochheimer, M Khalid, M Vy, G Chang, D Tu). Annals of Global Health, 83(3-4): 471-477; 2017.
Books, Book Chapters, & Monographs:
- “Care of the Difficult Patient”, Taylor’s Principles of Family Medicine, 7th ed., 2017.